It’s out! Lonely Planet’s annual destination guide is hot off the press, with some surprising picks in its top 10 locations list for Best in Travel 2013.
This year’s volume, compiled by self-proclaimed travel geeks, includes categories such as, the word’s top countries, regions and cities for 2013, along with themed lists, ranging from best-value destinations to top spots to get tattooed.
“We look for timeliness – not just what’s hot and trending now, but what’s ahead,” says U.S. digital editor at Lonely Planet, Andy Murdock.
View the top ten places to travel in 2013 here:
10. Madagascar – Democratic reforms have made this unlikely entrant on the list much more welcoming. Go before everyone else does, the authors advise.
9. Dominican Republic – As a number of new resorts are opening in 2013, more and more flights are going to the island.
8. Turkey –Beyond Istanbul and the coastal resorts, Turkey offers many top destinations for travellers, along with low-fare airlines that make a welcoming addition.
7. Iceland – Its otherworldly landscapes captivates visitors, forming a holiday like no other.
6. Solomon Islands – This laid-back getaway boasts eco-resorts that are a breath of fresh air from mass-market franchises and upmarket hotels.
5. Slovakia – Slovakis turns 20 in 2013 so there’s no better time to travel to this beautiful country. Skiers will enjoy test-running one of the newly-revamped resorts.
4. Ecuador – After being devastated in the 1990s by flooding, Ecaudor’s railway is set to be back up and running in 2013, making it easier to explore this Andean nation.
3. South Korea – 2013 sees three international sporting events arrive in the country. Visitors can expect high-level energy, particularly in the capital, Seoul.
2. Montenegro – The pearl of the Mediterranean, visit Montenegro, meaning black mountain, for its rugged interior with a growing number of hiking and biking trails, or stick to the coast, site of new, high-profile developments.
1. Sri Lanka – Top of the list goes to Sri Lanka, a country that, after a 26-year civil war and a devastating tsunami in 2004, is now one of the best-value destinations around.
Give us a call today on 02079939228 to book one of our excellent packages to these ten destinations.