It’s not just bathrobes that are ripe for the picking, people take all sorts from their hotel rooms… You’ve got to wonder, how did they hide some of these?
After a survey of 500 hotels, 95 percent say they’ve had items stolen by guests, and around one in every ten traveller will take at least one thing that doesn’t belong to them.
Here’s the weirdest:
- A grand piano. Yes, a whole piano was carted down the street by three people dressed in overalls who casually strolled by reception.
- A stuffed boar’s head. A hotel in Birmingham went without its billiard room’s main feature, until friends of the shamed guest actually bought it from the hotel as a wedding present.
- A Vegas Hotel said entire carpets had been cut and take from one of its rooms.
- The sofa and a mini-fridge were taken from a five star hotel in Dubai.
- A five star hotel in Madrid went without a whole mattress after a stay by one sticky-fingered guest.
- Sex Toys, a hotel in Bath which offers kinky accessories as part of its package, says they often go walkabouts after visits from amorous guests.
- Televisions. They have a tough time in hotel rooms, what with getting thrashed by rockers, they’re also one of the most stolen items.
- One unfortunate hotel owner had their pet dog stolen! Who would do that!?
- Every accessory from an Istanbul hotel room was taken, apart from the bed, the desk and TV, basically everything that wasn’t nailed down.
- Miscellaneous: according to reports that have surfaced over the years, there are lots of other, hard-to-categories bits taken from rooms, including a medieval sword and a 4ft wooden bear. Sounds a bit Anchorman, doesn’t it?