Who doesn’t love slip-sliding about and releasing your inner child? Is there a better place to do that than in a them park or water park? We don’t think so. Impress your kids this year with all the facts about these extremely cool water parks for 2014 and don’t forget to tell us if we’ve missed one of your favourite water parks in the comments below.
1. Tropical Islands Resort, Krausnick, Germany. The largest indoor water park in the world, Tropical Islands is in a former zeppelin hangar, complete with rainforest, palm trees, birdsong and artificial sun.
2. Siam Park, Tenerife. Perhaps one of the best known water parks in Europe, Siam Park, the Water Kingdom is home to a Tower of Power which is a 28 metre plunge, the zero gravity Dragon experience, the 200 metre mega slide the Kinnaree and the Sawasdee, a great choice for families: it’s a mini version of the grown up rides especially for kids.
3. Insano, Beach Park, Brazil. the world’s biggest and possibly scariest water slide in the world (for the moment – see below). 14 storeys high and 65 mph in 5 seconds, this is not for the fainthearted.
4. L2 Wave, Tirol, Austria. The world’s first double loop waterslide that’ll shoot you from top to bottom in seconds, this is a thrill-seeking family’s favourite.
5. Wet ‘n Wild Florida, USA. Not only does Wet ‘n Wild have the biggest family water play area in Florida but it’s home to The Bomb Bay, where a trap door drops you down a near vertical shoot in a matter of seconds.
6. Tobaggan at Citta del Mare Hotel, Sicily, Italy. You might have seen pictures of this one before, a huge slide that hangs down the side of a cliff. This Sicilian hotel slide goes over three decks and offers fantastic views on the journey down to the sea.
7. WaterWorld Waterpark, Ayia Napa, Cyprus. The WaterWorld Waterpark is all about themed fun, from the Drop to Atlantis, the Minotaur’s Labyrinth, the Chariot Chase and the Fall of Icarus. Expect to be impressed.
8. Verruckt! At Schlitterbahn in Kansas City, USA. Although it is still under construction, Verrukt! It’ll be taller than Niagara Falls and is set to be the biggest and maybe scariest waterslide in the world when it opens in May 2014. Yikes.
9. Wild Wadi WaterPark, Jumeirah, Dubai. Guaranteed great weather and over 30 rides and attractions to suit all ages, it’s hard to better the Wild Wadi Waterpark. Our favourite is the Burj Surj, a high speed ride with two downhill slides which lead to a huge bowl. This is a good one for groups, it takes up to 5 people at a time.
10. Aqualand, Gran Canaria. The park just a stone’s throw from the famous Maspalomas dunes has a new star attraction: the epic Racer Twin Turbolance. Two people hop into an inflatable dinghy and hurl through chutes, passing through a giant bowl and finally sucked into a whirlpool. Phew!