Any town or city can hang up a few lights in the city centre and call it a Christmas festival but there are places in the world that put the rest to shame. If you’re fed up of shoddy lights and a sad-looking tree take a look at these places that really know how to put on a show and offer the best alternative places for holidays at Christmas.
If you’ve got enough holiday to extend your holidays until the 5th of January (Three King’s Day) then there’s no place than Barcelona to spend it with Melchior, Gaspar and Balthasar. On Januray 4th the three king’s touch down at the city’s port on their very own ship – Santa Eulalia and completely kitted up in velvet. Canons are fired, fireworks are let of and as the mayor of the city hands over the keys of the city to the kings, the magic of Magi officially starts. The kings are paraded through the streets in an extravagant procession of floats comprising of camels, elephants and giraffes.
Lebowski Fest, 11-12th July 2014, Louisville, Kentucky Dedicated to all things Dude, Lebowski Fest’s been running for a whopping 12 years and offers White Russians, unlimited bowling, costume contests and special guests. The Dude abides at Lebowski Fest and we couldn’t think of a better summer festival.
Full Moon Party, 13thJuly, 08th September 2014, Koh Phangan, Thailand If we could choose one word to describe the Full Moon Parties of Koh Phangan it would be: epic. Shirtless, shoeless tourists dance all night at the biggest beach party in the world, where you’ll find plastic buckets that hold a litre of vodka and Red Bull. Told you it was epic.
Need some inspiration for where to party on New Years Eve 2014? Why not visit one of these ten places to party on new years eve 2014, the showstopping destinations that will ensure you begin the New Year with a bang.
1. Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Amsterdam is always a great city to party in and New Years is even better. The biggest party in the city is at Museumplein. And the best bit? It’s completely free. With a massive fireworks display and rocking Dutch bands, it’s a handy choice from the UK. Alternatively you can find plenty of dedicated club events throughout the city.
2. NYE in NYC
Times Square is *the* place to be at New Years, but let’s face it, anywhere in New York is going to be pretty awesome. The city is littered with big name DJs playing the top clubs to ring in 2015. While Times Square is a legendary NYE venue, made famous by the glittering ball that descends from the top of the square at midnight. There are balloons, confetti, fireworks, singers and dancers on hand to entertain up to 1 million people who fill the square every year.
3. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil for New Years on the beach
An absolute riot of colour, Rio could be called the party capital of the world. Make friends with the millions who gather on Copacabana Beach to take in a fireworks show that’s a once in a lifetime opportunity. In the lead up, everything turns white – with flowers thrown into the water to bring good luck.
4. Hogmanay in Edinburgh
Hogmanay in Edinburgh is like the spiritual home of New Years. This year, as usual, thousands are expected on the streets to say hello to 2015. You’ll find yourself linking arms and singing with new friends who you meet along the way to the epic live bands that play, while 4.5 tonnes of pyrotechnics should be enough to light up the night sky. And don’t forget the traditional chorus of Auld Lang Syne.
5. New years in the country
If you fancy a quieter take on New Years, the Scottish Highlands are gorgeous. The Lochs, forests and rivers provide a tranquil setting to reflect on the past year and look forward to the year ahead. A few great friends, a cottage in the countryside, a roaring fire and maybe a dram or two in the local and you’ve got the perfect peaceful New Years celebration.
6. Some-Fin a little different
Imagine spending New Year’s soaking up the northern lights, ice fishing or on a husky safari to a reindeer farm. A countryside retreat at Iso –Syote in Finland is a top choice for a true escape. Brisk walks in the snow, followed by warming sauna sessions and nights discovering the mysterious countryside is a unique NYE experience.
7. Trinidad & Tobago for a carnival atmosphere
Endless parties, dancing all day and all night, music fills the air, that’s what New Years in Trinidad & Tobago is all about. One of the Caribbean’s most diverse destinations, the annual Parang festival means it is one long party for the whole holiday season.
8. Turks and Caicos Islands for BBQs on the beach
BBQs right on the beach, bonfires to dance around, and up to eight different fireworks shows fill the air on the Turks & Caicos Islands. Seeing the pyrotechnics at the same time over the water from the 12 mile beach is certainly going to be a memorable experience.
9. Negril, Jamaica for serious fun
An adults only resort for an adults only New Years eve, Negril is one sizzling New Years Eve party. Hedonism II is the ultimate in NYE parties, We’ve heard about naked hot tubs, open bars and all sorts of shenanigans. Remember, what happens on tour, stays on tour!
10. St Barth’s for the rich and famous
Grab your yacht, take your diamonds and put on your Louboutins, St Barths is all about the celebrity filled New Years Eve. It’s where Russian billionaires cruise to hang out with celebrities and treat themselves to intimate gigs with huge name bands. Jay Z and Beyonce, Gwen Stefani, Lindsay Lohan, Black Eyed Peas, you name a celebrity, we’re pretty sure they’ve partied in St Barts.
Call one of our expert travel advisors now on 0207 993 9228 to find the best deals for NYE celebrations for 2014.
Who doesn’t love slip-sliding about and releasing your inner child? Is there a better place to do that than in a them park or water park? We don’t think so. Impress your kids this year with all the facts about these extremely cool water parks for 2014 and don’t forget to tell us if we’ve missed one of your favourite water parks in the comments below.
1. Tropical Islands Resort, Krausnick, Germany. The largest indoor water park in the world, Tropical Islands is in a former zeppelin hangar, complete with rainforest, palm trees, birdsong and artificial sun.
2. Siam Park, Tenerife. Perhaps one of the best known water parks in Europe, Siam Park, the Water Kingdom is home to a Tower of Power which is a 28 metre plunge, the zero gravity Dragon experience, the 200 metre mega slide the Kinnaree and the Sawasdee, a great choice for families: it’s a mini version of the grown up rides especially for kids.
If you’re planning a holiday this year and prefer to relax in a child-free environment then you’ll enjoy this Purple Travel guide to the best adult only hotels in Tenerife and throughout the Canary Islands. Designed and built with over 18s in mind, these adult on hotels Tenerife and throughout the Canaries focus on beautiful surroundings, choice of dining options, range of luxury facilities and excellent service and attention to detail. Enjoy the Purple 10 adult only hotels Tenerife & Canary Islands – and remember! For more information or to book any adult only hotels Tenerife, Fuerteventura, Lanzarote or Gran Canaria, talk to the expert team at Purple Travel on 0207 993 9228.
If you’re a shrinking violet, maybe best to steer clear of these amazing very cool swimming clothes (I’ve already been called on out on these not being bikinis – but I can’t do the word ‘swimwear’. So, hottest bikinis 2014 or other title suggestions in the comments please!
1. You’ll definitely stand out with this Cool Bralette bikini via @ EliteFashionSwimwear.com
2. Prim and proper in this gorgeous Michael Kors swimsuit for SS 2014 via @ Elle on Pinterest
3. This will cause some serious tan lines… but who cares! It’s certain to get you noticed on the beach.
4. Nothing says “Look at Me” like a swimsuit made of galloping horses. You can get yours from We Are Handsome.
Treat him or her to a fantastic Valentine’s holiday with Purple Travel. We’ve got 10 of Europe’s most romantic cities for all types of couples. If It’s history that you’re mad about, incredible hotel rooms that you won’t leave for days on end or a sunshine getaway where you can relax hand in hand on a secluded beach, you’ll love our list of Europe’s most romantic cities. We threw the question out on Google + and Facebook and got some great responses. As always, anything we’ve missed, let us know in comment and already decided where you want to go on your next city break? Call Purple Travel on 02079939228 for low cost flights and hotels Europe’s Most Romantic Cities…
#1 Dazzlingly beautiful Italy’s Liguria Coast is filled with cost tucked-away romantic guesthouses and hotels. Sometimes known as the Bay of fairy tales the ancient ruins and old castles provide a stunning backdrop to sunset dinners on a terrace and balmy evenings walking hand in hand. Choose from ocean view hotels with high ceilings and don’t forget to visit the cocktail bars.
#2 Paris is perfect for traditional romantics. An obvious choice but that’s because it’s so good! We’re talking freshly baked croissants for breakfast in bread, the views from the top of the Eiffel Tower and long meals accompanied by the best red wine. Paris is filled with amazing hotels so you can treat him or her to a Valentine’s they’ll never forget.
#3 Just a couple of hours away, Rome is a hot choice for history and art lovers for couples who want to discover the Sistine Chapel or the Coliseum together. Stay in the The wide streets and incredible selection of restaurants make this one of Europe’s most romantic cities.
#4 It might not be the first city that pops into your head, but Copenhagen in Denmark makes a gorgeous romantic weekend away. The city renowned for its links to fairy tale writer Hans Chrsitan Andersen is a jusst 90 minutes from the UK. Stop for hot chocolates and a heart shaped cake in one of the city’s famous cafes after a visit to the Winter Garden, the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek. In the evening cinema is one of the most popular things to do in Copenhagen and it’s easy to see why. Cinemas like the Empire and Falkoner have specially made seats just for two. Copenhagen image via @ Visit Denmark
#5 One of the most popular cities in Europe right now the Portuguese capital has it all. Lively Lisbon is all cobblestone streets, cosy cafes and bars and incredible hotels. All of those overlooked by an ancient castle. It’s hard to top Lisbon for most romantic cities. Lisbon image via @ Luca Sartoni
#6 The magical kingdoms in Game of Thrones might be familiar when you set foot in Dubrovnik. The hazy sun soaked pottery tiled roofs and shiny flagstoned streets are not only beautiful, but world-famous now too thanks to the filming of the George RR Martin books. The city’s old walls doubles as Kings Landing and the view from the top shows off Blackwater Bay. Dubrovnik is top of the romance charts as far as we are concerned. Dubrovnik via @ Branimal!
#7 Venice. A long established romantic hot spot, Barbara Hopley on our Google + page shared her thoughts about her favourite romantic city in Europe: “Venice definitely, a nice dinner then a Gondola ride – perfect! Highly recommend, I love Venice.”
#8 A stunningly well-preserved city, Prague is made for walking around hand in hand with the one you love. A sea of spires and statues awaits you by day, while at night, the famous Prague nightlife is sure to impress any party-loving couple. Sunset dinner in Prague via @ MadebyMark
#9 Holidays in Marrakech are made up of a couple of essentials: discovering the sights and sounds of the Medina, testing out your shisha smoking skills, eating incredible local food and maybe a bit of sunbathing thrown in. Marrakech couples city breaks are all about adventure and who better to share that with than your other half.
#10 Santorini has all the elements for the perfect couple’s holiday. Those incredible sunsets, the winding white washed streets where it feels like it’s just the two of you alone in the world. Book a room with a sea view and your own private swimming pool, just don’t blame us if you never want to leave.
Have something special in mind for Valentine’s Day? Call the expert travel team at Purple Travel on 02079939228 and surprise the one you love this year.
If it is sun-soaked beers on the beach, boozing up on a city break, or shaking your booty all night long, you’ll find exactly what you’re looking for with our Purple Travel top 10 Clubbing holidays 2014.
1. Ibiza When it comes to clubbing holidays, Ibiza is like a wise, old friend. It has them down to perfection. Boozing, dancing, beach parties and Ibiza clubbing holidays offer instant gratification. Head to Space, Amnesia and Manumission by night. By day, go straight from the club to Bora Bora, where you can keep your party spirit going.
2. Ayia Napa, Cyprus Nissi Beach in Ayia Napa is easily the most famous party location on the island. With soft, white sand, all night parties, booze, bikinis and the biggest name DJs, it ticks every best clubbing holiday 2014 box.
3. Sharm el Sheikh A night out in the Red Sea Resort usually includes shisha smoking, trendy lounges, cocktails and dancing all night. Basically anything can happen during clubbing holidays in Egypt. Head for Little Buddha in Naama Bay, famous for its cocktails and coolness.
4. Kavos, Corfu This one hardly needs an introduction, we’ve all seen that TV show. Kavos is possibly the most famous, craziest and hedonistic party town in Greece… maybe in the entire world, we reckon it could certainly rival Vegas in terms of debauchery. There are hundreds of bars and clubs where you can go shake your glow sticks all night long.
5. Barcelona Barcelona’s a cheap and cheerful choice for clubbing holidays 2014. There are tonnes of flights that’ll have you over in BCN and ready to party in no time. And thanks to the all-night attitude of the Spanish, there’ll be plenty of time to pub crawl, party and soak up the atmosphere. Head for the Ravel area for cool bars, hip restaurants and Barcelona’s cool kids.
6. Laganas, Zante The town on the Greek Island is practically world renowned for the antics of visitors every year. The so-called Golden Mile has a choice of bars and clubs with the likes of fire breathing bartenders, bartop dancing and an ‘anything goes’ attitude. Amnesia and Medousa are hot ticket clubs for 2014.
7. Prague, Czech Republic The gorgeous city of Prague is ideal for couples looking for clubbing ideas combined with a little culture too (!) There is a very hot underground scene with whiskey bars, cocktail lounges and all night DJs. Of course no trip to Prague is complete without knocking back a couple of pints of local ale. That’s the cure for the morning after the night before.
8. Magaluf, Majorca For cheap clubbing holidays 2014, Magaluf is a complete no brainer. There are serious dance nights, cheesey 80s bars, and Europe’s biggest club, BCM. It is home to some of the best party venues in Europe and has become an epic hen and stag do destination. If you go, get your hands on a Magaluf Club Pass. It’s one ticket for five of the hottest clubs in town.
9. Malia, Crete Think 18-30 clubs, foam parties, dancing on tables, pure indulgence. Get some sleep now, because you certainly won’t get any on a clubbing holiday in Malia 2014.
10. Berlin, Germany 24 hour techno clubs, old buildings transformed into dance warehouses and quirky, weird and unusual nights out are what Berlin is famous for. No wonder you can head out at 4pm on a Thursday and not get home until Monday afternoon.
Fancy shaking your booty with the best clubbing holidays 2014? Then call our disco ball-lovin’ team on 02079939228 or visit our website.