Whether it’s a sun soaked beach, and American road trip, or Middle Earth, films have the power to inspire, so why not let them. We’ve put together our top 10 favourite film inspired holidays, so you can live like a movie star, even if it is just for a while. Let us know in comments below if we’re missing any important film inspired holidays!
- Hollywood! Does it really need any explanation? Tinseltown is the motion picture capital of the world, and you can barely take a breath before seeing a famous film studio, a Kardashian or a Lohan, or a Star on the Walk of Fame.
- New York, New York The city so good they named it twice. NYC was the famous setting (and fifth character) in the Sex and the City series. Carrie was always talking of it like a loved up teenager. There are tonnes of themed tours to choose from where you’ll be taken on a whirlwind visit to some of the show’s most famous settings. There are stops for Cosmos, a visit to the famous Magnolia bakery, Aidan and Steve’s bar Scout and as many designer shops as you can think of.
- Tunisia For any Star Wars fans, Tunisia will already be familiar territory. It’s where George Lucas chose to locate Luke Skywalker’s home planet Tattooine. You can visit lots of parts of the set which is still intact, while Luke’s home has been lovingly restored by dedicated fans. Tozeur and the salt lake of Chott el-Jerid are chock-a-block with familiar scenes, while the Jedi battle between Qui-Gon and Darth Maul in Episode I was filmed nearby. The less said about that though, the better!
- New Zealand if you’ve ever fancied seeing a real version of Middle Earth then New Zealand is the place to go. The Lord of the Rings trilogy was brought to movie life here by star director Peter Jackson. The countryside is filled with lush, rolling green hills, epic waterfalls, snow capped mountains and stunning sunsets. You’d have to be an orc to want to miss out on that!
- Bali The story of a woman finding herself after divorce resonated with fans all over the world in Eat Pray Love and it’s Bali setting could be the reason why. Julia Roberts playing Liz Gilbert’s epic journey finishes in the exotic and glorious surrounds of Bali really struck a chord with audiences.. Part meditation, part healing, part sun holiday, Bali is a serious escape from the norm. It also helps that the star gets it on with Javier Bardem’s gorgeous Filipe.
- Forks, Washington State One for the twi-hards. Forks is where Bella and Edward first met and fell in love. If that means nothing to you, then a Twilight themed holiday won’t be for you. But the town is certainly making the most of its new found fame with DIY guides and unofficial tours. Check out a 1956 chevy, painted red and referred to as Bella’s truck.
- Benidorm, Spain If you like the sun, sea and shenanigans of the tv show Benidorm, then you’ll love heading to the place itself to indulge in a little of the same. It’s the quintessential Brits abroad type of place, where holidaymakers can unwind on the lovely beaches and in the lively bars of the popular Spanish city.
- Florida Could Orlando be the ULTIMATE kids movie destination? We, of course mean kids of all ages. From the Magic Kingdom to the newly opened Wizarding World of Harry Potter and everything in between, you’ll never be sort of things to do. And while, they might not be actual shooting locations, it’s a great choice for re-enacting your favourite Hogwarts moments.
- St Vincent/the Grenadines These Caribbean islands are about as idyllic as you’ll get, with perfect white sandy powder soft beaches, sparkling turquoise waters and the odd palm tree to shade under. Perfect for pirates to find hidden treasure and Jack Sparrow to get deserted with Keira Knightley. Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed here and, what with all that gorgeous tropical scenery and sunshine, we can only imagine what a tough shoot it must have been!
- Skopelos, Greece get your Abba tunes out, slip into some shorts and sandals and head for Skopelos. The gorgeous Greek island was the luscious backdrop to fun Meryl Streep led Mamma Mia. We can just imagine lazily strolling down cobbled streets, past whitewashed houses humming Voulez Vous to ourselves…
Bonus point! Las Vegas to go relive the movie The Hangover, but remember… what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!
Read more: Purple 10 world’s best party towns